Legitimate autographs and authentication are a good thing. There are some fly-by-night "authenticators" out there and they will rip you off. Steiner...well, they aren't going to sell you crap.
So...I've come up with a list of reasons to love and hate Brandon Steiner's legacy (he's the owner, you know...he wrote a book about the whole thing. I'm sure the book is awesome...probably not).
Reasons to LOVE Steiner Sports
1. Legitimacy: Yes, I have already stated that their items are the real thing. But, in the internet age you cannot stress this enough. People will try to scam you. Steiner will not.
2. Guarantee: Steiner will give a guarantee on friggin' everything. This just comes with the whole "peace of mind" concept. You can rest easy on your pillow knowing that the Mickey Mantle cut you bought last week is the real McCoy. Of course you probably overpaid for that cut by 25%, but that's ok.
3. Customer Service: The folks at Steiner know what services is all about. They really do care. Any problems? Just call. They'll fix your shit right up.
4. Variety of Items: I have never been to the brick and mortar store in New York. I'm sure I would be like a kid in a candy store. The variety that Steiner has on hand is absolutely amazing. From mini helmets to game-used bats to signs from the old Yankee Stadium...yeah, they probably have whatever obscure item you are looking for.
5. The 3-for-$99 Sale: Usually awesome items within the three items for ninety nine bucks sale. They have this one often and whenever I have the cash (which is hardly ever) I try to indulge. It truly is a good deal.
Reasons to HATE Steiner Sports
1. Price: Going into the transaction, you as a customer must realize that whatever you buy from Steiner is going to be over priced. Therefore, your best bet is to never EVER buy regular priced items. There are good deals to be had on the Steiner site but you have to look carefully and the deals are almost ALWAYS in sale section.
2. Shipping: There is no fucking way that it costs twenty bucks to ship 3 stinking baseballs. No way. I could send you three baseballs for five bucks. I know, it's such a little thing. But, gouging people for shipping costs is just a douche move. Shipping is never free with Steiner...ever.
3. Exclusive contracts: Steiner has a habit of signing athletes to exclusive memorabilia contracts with them. Now, there really is nothing wrong with doing this. The athlete agrees to it, so it's really no big deal. But, it can often be the reason why your favorite player says he "can't" sweet-spot your baseball. There are rules in these deals so that Steiner can have something exclusive. Of course, this jacks the prices of these items way up...way out of the price range of the regular old joe's like us. The list of these exclusive contracts is huge and includes the likes of Derek Jeter, Mo Rivera, Hell...just about any past or present Yankee.
4. Endless Emails: Buy one thing from Steiner, you will receive six emails per day. Guaranteed. At least six, maybe more...
So, take Steiner Sports for what you want. In my opinion, they are both good and bad. There are deals to be had but you may pay a big price for a steal.
Here's the link to Steiner. Check it out, see for yourself.