Sunday, June 30, 2013

2013 Topps Pro Debut

In the classic film Spaceballs, there's this scene where the evil-doers are literally combing the desert for Lonestar, Barf, and Company.  The commander, Dark Helmet, asks how the progress is going...one of the teams combing the desert says this:


That pretty much sums up my card buying experience these days.

But, I sprung for a box of 2013 Pro Debut.  I'm low on money, sure.  The Pro Debut only happens once a year!  Seriously, though, I usually buy myself one box of Pro Debut for the sole purpose that it will last me the rest of the year, off-season, AND spring training for sending TTM auto requests.  This card is perfect for TTM's.

Anyway, the cards are simply beautiful, once again.  Clean design.  Not too much in the way of fanciness to draw attention away from the subject.  Some might say they look cheap.  I, however, feel that the set looks simply elegant.  Kind of like the regular old Topps line for this season.  Simple.  Perfect for having them signed.

Here's the breakdown.  You get 24 packs in a box with 8 cards per pack.  Not bad seeing that I got very few duplicates in my box.  This is for a 220 card base set.  Decent.  This could very easily be a set-collectors product.

Topps did not over-do the inserts on this years Pro Debut.  There are no pink, red, puple...blah blah blah variation of every damn card.  There is one variation:  Gold #'d to 50.  Therefore these variations are super hard to get.  I got one.  That's it.  There seems to also be a very small (15 card) SP variation set.  Those should be tough to get, as well.

Of course there are autographed cards to chase.  Nothing to write home to mama about, though.  Sure, an Oscar Taveras auto would be nice, but there is very little that is going to make an average collector throw down their hard earned money for.  I'm not a very big fan of game-used cards and there seem to be a LOT within this product.

The verdict?  If you are a fan, go get yourself a box.  If you are a hit-chaser...run away.  Quickly.

View the super-rad checklist over at our friends at sportscardradio.

My "hits" for this break:  Jorge Polanco auto, Nicholas Martinez auto, Muddy Mudcat "patch" card (my goodness this card idea is fucking lame), Chris Reed GU, and Luis Merejo gold.  I also pulled one of the SP Puig cards...which, to me at least, is kind of cool.









No comments:

Post a Comment