Monday, June 24, 2013

Sticking It Out

For a month or two, I had seriously contemplated selling off my entire collection.  Getting out of the hobby, for good.  Throwing in the proverbial towel.  Quit.  Kaput.  Finished.

I was going to sell it all.  Except for a few family heirloom type things:  the Gretzky practice-used autographed stick, the David Price SS, and a few others.  Hell, I could use the money...times is tough these days.  At least the blog is free...thanks Google!

But, I reconsidered.  I'm still looking to downsize but I am going to remain immersed in the hobby.  However, I'll likely not be buying boxes of product any longer.  Getting a few packs here and there to review here on the site will be enough to keep me going with the blog.  I will probably amp up my TTM habit, though.  There's something about connecting with players...who, like it or not, are actual REAL people...and having them send a little something back to the fans.  That, to me, is the ultimate.  It may not be cool but I don't really give a shit.

I'm going to focus my collection.  My childhood favorites (NHL Oilers, Mets, and Miami Hurricanes) and my hometown team Tampa Rays will be mostly what I collect.  I may...MAY...do some prospecting.  But, that will likely be solely through the mail.

So, why stick it out?  Basically, this hobby connects me to a far simpler time in my life.  Children live in an idyllic world filled with role models and heroes.  The collecting hobby transports me back to that time as a kid...it's really what it should do for all of us.  Hell, this ain't a hobby to make money with.  Sure, sometimes you can get a few bucks for a card or signature or whatever.  But, really, is that what it's really about?  I contend that it is not.

The collection continues.  Much of it is for sale.  Contact me if you want to purchase.  Or trade for my favorites...I'll send you a list of "wants" if you ask nicely.

Keep the faith, people.


No comments:

Post a Comment