Saturday, December 7, 2013

Cano to Seattle

Normally, I don't get into player movement in the free agent market.  I do think it is worth noting the departure of second baseman Robinson Cano from the Big Apple out to the Pacific Northwest.  The Seattle Mariner have made quite a splash this off-season by signing the premier second-sacker in the league.  For a change, they actually stole someone from a big market team...usually, it's the other way around.

Cano, and his agents, were asking upwards of 300 million bucks to play ball.  With the state of baseball, I seriously doubted this would ever happen.  Not that 240 million bucks is much different (which is what he got).  But, he asked for the moon and the Yankees balked.  I don't blame them.  Cano is one of those great players that is seriously overrated in his contributions to the overall performance of his team.  Of course, that is just my opinion.

I'm not sure how this will affect Robinson's collectability.  I suspect that it won't have much effect.  For a superstar, Cano is surprisingly affordable...prices for Trout and Harper are miles higher than Cano.  So, I doubt that this move will cause much change.

Like I said, I don't normally note free-agent movements.   But, this one is kind of a biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment