Sunday, January 27, 2013

I Found Joe Torre

Hey everyone.  I found Joe Torre.  You know Joe.  He's the former manager of those most-hated Yankee teams that one like a zillion championships.  Yeah, that Joe.  I found him.

So, as I am sometimes found doing, I was a in a thrift shop (usually it's a used bookstore) digging through their stacks of books looking for gems.  You see, what I have found over the years is that people don't care to look before tossing books in the "to donate" pile.  I have found many books signed by authors, and some big names too!  I won't share many of these on "The Curve" because I may just dedicate a blog to the art of signed book collecting.

But, going through the stacks o' books, I see a Joe Torre book.  It's one of those business management type books where someone lowly like me gets tips from a big shot or champion.  This was one of those books.  The price was right, fifty cents, so I picked it up with the intention of buying and then actually reading the thing.  When I opened the cover, lo and behold, Joe had signed a bookplate that someone had affixed to the title page.  I'm not a big fan of bookplates but, hey, it's Joe Torre aaannnnnnddd it was only fitty cent.  Pretty sweet.

Needless to say, I was stoked.  Might just have to throw this one up on the EBay.

PS...The plate looks exactly like the one above.  Except that it's totally different.  It's not for The Yankee Years.  It's a bookplate for an investment company or something (T Rowe Price, maybe?).  It must've been done at a speaking engagement.  But, it is a legit Torre sig.  Matched it against the one I got in person in 1997...a perfect match.  HA!


No comments:

Post a Comment