Friday, March 1, 2013

The Fine and Agonizing Art of Selling

Every collector gets to the point where he/she wants to sell something from their ever growing collection.  Whether it be because the collector doesn't want an item anymore or because a player has left his/her favorite team...it doesn't really matter the reason, sometimes you just need to clean out the old closet.

This is the Belt.
I find the art of selling to be a completely frustrating experience.  Recently, I tried to sell off a few certified autographed cards I had obtained one way or the other over the past few years.  One was a Brandon Belt Topps Finest Auto (green refractor, if you care).  Belt has been the forever-prospect for the Giants for a few years now and hasn't really gained much traction in the numbers department yet.  But, he's still a major league first baseman that has potential.  I tried to sell on a message board.  I was offered a pittance.  This has not been the first time I was lowballed but, for some reason, this time really pissed me off.  So, I still have a Belt auto green for sale.

Where the heck do we sell these items without getting royally screwed?  I would say many of the reputable message boards have good buyers (there are good buyers out there).  I would say that your local card/memorabilia shop would be a good place.  I would say that craigslist would be a decent route to go.  I would also say that a few sites specialize in selling your stuff for you and this would be a good move for you sellers.

This be the Yu.
I would say these things.  But, I would be lying.  I would never lie to you guys.

I suppose that leaves the ultimate online flea market...eBay.  The way to sell is still with the big boys over at the Bay.  Which sucks because there are fees and such and paypal can be a drag and all that kind of stuff.  But, there are people on eBay...with money.  They want your stuff and if you sell at a decent price (and with minimal competition) you CAN actually sell something.  Although I did have a Yu Darvish RC auto (Allen and Ginter) on the Bay for a long time and never sold the thing even though Yu was super hot at the time.  But, I digress...

Selling your unwanted or unloved or unneeded pieces of your collection can be a huge pain in the ass.  I feel your pain.  I have experienced your misery.  I, however, will not quit trying to rid myself of the pieces that are hogging valuable real estate in my home.  So, if you are looking for a Yu or a Belt or whatever...just give me a shout (on here, JRM on Pat Neshek's site, or JRM on freedom cardboard) and I'll cut you a wicked deal!

Take care people.


No comments:

Post a Comment