Monday, September 9, 2013

2013 Topps Tier 1

So, as far as higher-end baseball sets out there, here is one that I may be able to...hell, who am I kidding?  I can't afford anything more expensive than Pinnacle right now.  But, 2013 Topps Tier 1 came out a couple of weeks ago and I missed telling you all about it.

Turns out, Tier 1 is getting hammered by collectors out there in the interwebs world.  "Not worth it", "Redemptions for relic cards?", "Best hit was Jean Segura", etc, etc, etc...  Normally, I don't really get on the hate train when it comes to buying product.  But, since it turns out I won't be buying any of this stuff, I think I will actually listen to my brethren out there that have actually bought themselves some Tier 1.

Truthfully, I really like the look of these cards.  Here's one for you to see:


See there?  A nice lookin' card.  Clean, simple, a little space-agey but that's ok.  If I had the money I may actually buy a box.  But...but...the box buyers are the one's that are killing this product on the boards right now.  So, here's what I would do.

I would...get this...look for a card out of Tier 1 that I really wanted...like this one...


Andddddd...I would just buy it.  Yep, this seems to be the feeling around the baseball collecting world. Wait for the singles, then scoop them up.  Because, well, they are sweet cards.

Longoria, Pele, Griffey Jr., Cal Jr., Gwynn, Musial, Bench, Pedroia, Kaline, pretty much all the heavy hitters have signed for this set.  But, I'm not sure at the rate in which each signed, how many, etc.  So, if you buy a box you may wind up with something akin to this:


Not that there's anything wrong with hitting on an Adam Lind.  Well, there probably is something wrong with hitting on Adam Lind.  But, for more than eighty bucks a box I want something more.  I want to hit on Hank Aaron or Stan Musial.  They are sexier, for reals.

So, do what you want with this years Topps Tier 1.  I might...might...see if I can scrape together a few shekels for a nice little collection piece.  Or I might just let this one fall by the wayside.  But, you, my dear collector friend, can do as you wish.

It's your money. 

Big props to cardboard connection for the info on Tier 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment